Wednesday, December 2, 2009

36 Years ago today.

Thirty Six Years Ago this morning at 8:00 a.m. I sailed into the harbor at Port-au-Prince, Haiti on this ship, the Norwegian Caribbean Lines "M S Starward." With me were my Mother and Father, who have both passed on, a 1971 green Toyota Land Cruiser loaded with all my possessions. My possessions included my Fender guitar and Amplifier, and my clothes. I was fulfilling a calling that God had placed upon my heart. I didn't know if I would be here for longer than a year so I leased a house just for 12 months. I didn't know what I was going to do, I just knew that God had called me here. Standing on the dock was a Sister Hodges from Connecticut who was working with a missionary here by the name of Nick Gruick. On the way to the house she told me that I would need a girl to work in my house, cooking, cleaning, and doing the shopping. I told her I could take care of that myself and she said, "Oh no you can't." She went on to say, "The girl I am sending you will be there at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. Her name is Lena Toutou." Lena became not just a cook and a housemaid, she became a friend. That was 37 years ago and she is still a dear and precious friend. I was not to meet Violine for another year. God has been good. Violine is still with me and not long ago Lena and her husband, Archange, came from Miami and stayed a few days with us. I was only 35 years old and now I am 72. I often have people who ask me to come back to the States, that I have done my part, but the only way I will ever go back is for the one that sent me he sends me back. To me I haven't done anything but I still want to do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment